Friday 10 November 2017

Alternative Techniques - Print-Pressing Process

Fortunately I already had a bit of experience on from the previous year on print-pressing so could organise myself accordingly to how I remember. I started by making a 20x20cm canvas to work on, and traced over some bird skulls on Adobe Photoshop using my Wacom tablet.


I had originally planned on doing just the one skull but later found that it looked quite barren and empty, so filled it up with a couple more skulls before putting it in to Illustrator.


Using the ellipse tool I placed a circle around the skulls and turned the fill off. I thought this would bring the piece together as a whole when printing on paper, rather than having three skulls looking quite barren on the page.
When actually doing the press-printing we worked in two separate groups before and after lunch time. Myself being in the slot before lunch meant myself and a couple others were the first to run in to some of the blunders that unfolded. For a select few people who's designs had very fine lines, the ink would struggle to pick up, meaning we would be tightening and loosening the roller a bit. Unfortunately when we tightened it enough for the ink to pick up this, it would be too tight and some times crack or snap the plate. This happened a couple of times on my plate and I had to glue some pieces back together and get some sandpaper on the job.


Once we had gotten past all the small technicalities though I found it to be very rewarding and loved the turnout of my prints.


Share: