Wednesday 14 February 2018

Contextual Studies - Evaluation and SWOT



Contextual Studies has been another difficult one for me, having to detail research in to trends dating as far back as the 1800's. Unlike my normal write-ups where it is much more relaxed and I can write from a personal level, I had to had to make in-depth research of 2500 words, complete with a bibliography detailing all my sources from an array of different formats online and in books.

Image result for history of poster design timeline


Whilst I got off to a good start expanding on the history of poster crazes from eras such as Art Nouveau, Early Modernism, Futurism, Heroic Realism, Kitsch, Late Modern, Psychedelic and more all the way up to Early Grunge. I started to lose my way when the deadline drew closer and began babbling after my introduction.

When hand-in was originally due I almost handed in an extremely half-assed looking essay which very obviously displayed my scatterbrained and sleepless night trying to reach the word count. I was very lucky to receive an extra week to re-write and re-evaluate.

After stepping away, receiving feedback and getting a grip I decided to make points and justification for them. I began to write with a bit more structure and depth and used research to inform a wider practice from a historical point of view. Whilst I have detailed key influences that have had an impact on commercial illustration I feel as though I left out certain points from contemporary viewpoints.

When I went on to talk about how the evolution of technology and political awareness had impacted modern practitioners work I found myself doing most of my research on established processes and practices opposed to what is happening in the current day. I struggled to expand on my research to a contemporary point of view which was really my downfall throughout this unit. My conclusion was spotty at best, showing very little focus again.

Lastly, whilst my bibliography was in good order, I did not take my investigation any further than the internet, showing only online sources where I could have expanded my research in to Juxtapoz and Digital Arts which have a selection of publications detailing emerging artists and techniques of this year from a more professional and well-credited source.

SWOT

Strengths:
  • In-depth research in an area out of my understanding
  • Correct and accurate bibliography
  • Detail to grammar and punctuation
  • Establishing key influences
  • Justifying my argument
Weaknesses:
  • Poor time management
  • Being too scatterbrained to think of where to start
  • Lots of waffle and babbling
  • Sources from anywhere other than the internet
  • Lack of contemporary viewpoints
Opportunities:
  • Making a timeplan and spending an hour a day doing coursework
  • Making a list bullet pointing key points
  • Use sources such as Juxtapoz and Digital Arts
  • Check in with tutor for help and advice
  • Look at tutorials on laying out essays
Threats:
  • Lack of sleep
  • Lack of motivation
  • Poor time management
Share: