Sunday 15 January 2017

Animation Production - Evaluation

For this unit we had to create what would be a journey through environment(s).

I started with some initial planning - branching off ideas with a spider diagram, this influenced some themes and styles for what I would be worth concepting.

I sketched some rough bases in my sketchbook, addressing on sticky notes their strengths and weaknesses and whether I could make them work. Because at the time I was very interested in Greek mythology such and the main creatures and the environment/scenery I felt this would inspire me to make my own world with it. 

The first idea was based of the Underworld and for this I really wanted to draw two of my favourite greek myths; the hydra and the minotaur. The second idea was based on a more light-hearted theme, space. Inspired by research and some of my favourite fan-made animations I thought having a little spaceman going through the different environments passing comets and meteors would be a fun and simple idea. The third idea was meant to be based on a bittersweet story following a lonely rabbit in the mountains, I feel like this idea was very loose so didn't pay much attention to it. The fourth idea had quite a few inspirations for it but one of the main one was based of my old childhood favourite Pokemon. The Sky Pavillion in Pokepark was one of my favourite environments to explore in the game and I was to somewhat recreate that.  The fifth and final initial idea I drew out had a very classic 'secret garden' scene, including abnormal sized mushrooms, fairies and lots of plant life.

All of these ideas I decided I would make on Cinema 4D using the camera and different frames.

Out of the five I settled primarily on two ideas, with help picking from friends and tutors I decided to using initial idea 1; the greek Underworld and initial idea 5; the mythical looking garden.

I chose to have a camera going through the mythical garden land and on the flip-side have this dark underworld hell.

Once I had written up a proposal and treatment and finished tidying up the pre-production I moved on to creating the assets. I drew each of the assets for the different scenes out digitally on Illustrator. Once I had crossed off all of the assets made I was ready to move on to animating.

Because assets took up a lot of time during this unit I was left very little time to animate, I am very certain this was where things started to fall apart. Instead of animating on C4D I animated in After Effects which left it with a very choppy look. Very few assets were made with frames or animated within the animation itself. It was a very unprofessional finish which is something I am personally disappointed with.

I think time-management and motivation is what gave me the finished result but I would like to make this a learning curve for future projects.
Share: