Thursday 12 January 2017

Principles of Animation - Evaluation


For this module we had to make an animated loop. The style I went with was very illustrative. I had three initial first ideas and went with my ‘Lazy Sundays’ idea. The piece involved the character of the loop is swinging her legs in the back and forth whilst looking at the screen of her laptop.

 

To begin with I made some rough sketches on paper – terribly drawn with pen to test the different poses and scenery I could make before sketching it out on photoshop. I then used the pen tool to clean up the line art. I did consider using illustrator for my line work but the pen tool was uncomfortable for me and therefore scrapped it and started again. When I coloured the frames, I copied and pasted the coloured layers then redid spaces that moved. Once finished I placed each frame in to after effects and placed them in order in the timeline. I also made a three-framed animation blink which was a very last minute decision which may have given it a rushed look.

Due to how badly I handled time-management I feel like this piece could have been improved with certain aspects. I should address the fact that I had completely forgotten to have the character cast a shadow on to the bed which made the piece look very robotic. There was very little animation that went in to the piece that I wanted such as different facial expressions, hair twiddling or even just typing on the laptop.

 

For the curtains I animated 3 frames and revered the order to have them going back and forwards. I found that there were a lot of things discouraged me in the last minute such as the perspective and angle on the character was wrong and it was too late to start making massive changes.


I had recently learned I should be putting at least 30 hours in to work outside of college where as I did not and I will use this as a learning curve for future projects.
Share: